No stories found matching ""

Boxing

Dalton Smith and Alberto Puello launch world title clash as Sheffield undercard is confirmed

August 19, 2026 3 min read
Dalton Smith and Alberto Puello launch world title clash as Sheffield undercard is confirmed

Photo: Matchroom Boxing

Dalton Smith and Alberto Puello came face-to-face for the first time ahead of their WBC world title fight in Sheffield, while Giorgio Visioli, Maxi Hughes, Shannon Ryan and Emma Dolan were all confirmed for the October 24 undercard.

Dalton Smith has promised to deliver another memorable night in Sheffield after coming face-to-face with Alberto Puello for the first time ahead of his first defence of the WBC super-lightweight title.

Smith will defend his boxing world title against mandatory challenger Puello at the Utilita Arena on October 24, with the event set to be broadcast live worldwide on DAZN.

The Sheffield fighter claimed the WBC title in spectacular fashion in January when he stopped Subriel Matias in Brooklyn, producing one of the biggest away victories by a British boxer in recent years.

Now, the unbeaten champion returns home for the first defence of his reign against former two-time world champion Puello.

“Just to be sat here right now as a World Champion feels special,” Smith said.

“I've done everything I said I was going to do, go through all the belts and bring a world title back to Sheffield and have a big homecoming.

“It's a tough test in front of me, but that's what brings the best out of me. Sheffield, October 24, it's going to be loud. The atmosphere is going to be noisy. It's going to be a special moment for me.”

Puello believes he can spoil Smith's homecoming and leave Sheffield with the belt.

“It will be hugely satisfying to come here to his home and to rip the belt away from him,” Puello said.

“It will be really satisfying for me and a humiliation for him.”

Giorgio Visioli and Maxi Hughes added to the undercard

Matchroom Boxing CEO Frank Smith also confirmed a strong supporting card for the Sheffield event.

One of the standout contests will see undefeated prospect Giorgio Visioli face former IBO world champion Maxi Hughes for the vacant WBC International Silver lightweight title.

Visioli (11-0, 6 KOs) described the fight as the toughest challenge of his career.

“I wanted the hardest challenge,” Visioli said.

“I want to show the world what I can do. I think this is past British level and I'm looking forward to showing my levels on that night.”

Hughes (29-9-2, 6 KOs) rejected suggestions that his career is coming to an end and insisted he still belongs at the highest level.

“It's my job now to say, 'It's still my time',” Hughes said.

“I'm still current and I still believe I've got what it takes.”

Shannon Ryan and Emma Dolan set for title rematch

Another of the featured bouts on the card will see Shannon Ryan attempt to avenge the only defeat of her professional career.

Ryan (11-1, 2 KOs) will face Emma Dolan (9-1, 1 KO) in a rematch with the British, Commonwealth and Intercontinental super-flyweight titles on the line.

Former European title challenger Jordan Flynn will also meet Aqib Fiaz in a super-featherweight contest.

Yorkshire heavyweight Leo Atang returns after making a successful US debut earlier this year, while unbeaten super-welterweights Joe Hayden and Will Harrison will meet in an all-Yorkshire showdown.

Middleweight prospect Chris Mulunda will also feature in front of his home crowd as he looks to extend his unbeaten record.

Tickets for the October 24 event are available through Ticketmaster and Events365.

Nick Dacres

Director, Reporter and Producer at Combat Evolved Sports.

You May Also Like

You must be logged in to post a comment.